3T Unicorn Mushroom Spawn Bags | 0.2 Micron Filter Patch
Unicorn mushroom bags are the industry standard when it comes to top quality mushroom filter patch bags. These mushroom bags are manufactured in the USA with equipment designed by Unicorn Bags allowing Unicorn to mass produce them without sacrificing quality.
The 3T Unicorn mushroom bag features a 0.2 micron filter, which provides high filtration and less gas exchange, making it ideal for mushroom grain spawn. This bag is 100% autoclavable and pliable at any temperature. The side-gusseted breathable bag is designed to stand sturdy while filling, is foldable, and can easily be sealed.
3T filter mushroom bags are a cost-effective substitute for canning jars. When producing large amounts of mushroom grain spawn or substrate, Unicorn bags can hold approximately 5 lbs of rye grain, oats, seeds or any other spawn you may be using. These bags are a must if efficiency and ease of use are important to you.
What is a Mushroom Filter Bag?
A mushroom filter bag, also known as mushroom spawn or substrate bag, is a specialized bag designed specifically for mushroom cultivation. These bags are pliable at any temperature, meaning they can be put inside an autoclave or sterilizer of your choice and will not be damaged or melted.
Mushroom bags come preinstalled with a filter patch, which allows gas and air exchange for mycelium to grow. The filter patch also prevents harmful contaminants from getting inside the bag, which could potentially kill any mushroom growth.
How to Use Unicorn Mushroom Grow Bags
- Begin by filling the 3T spawn bags with the mushroom spawn of your choice.
- Fold each bag neatly to create a seal during sterilization.
- Prepare the autoclave or other sterilization method for use, then safely pack the spawn bags into it.
- Run a sterilization cycle. The time of the cycle and pressure needed will depend on the type of mushroom spawn you chose. Typically for most grain spawn the cycle runs 90 to 120 minutes at 15 PSI.
- Allow the mushroom spawn to cool for 8 to 12 hours before removing and inoculating.
- Inoculate the mushroom grain spawn in a sterile environment and seal the bags with an impulse heat sealer.
About the Mushroom Filter Patches
Unicorn bags equipped with 3T Filter 0.2 micron patches allow for the highest filtration and least gas exchange. These are typically used for mushroom spawn bags.
Unicorn bags equipped with 14A Filter 0.5 micron patches allow for high filtration and more gas exchange than T filters.. These are typically used for incubating mushroom substrate and for fruiting mushrooms.
Tips When Working With Mushroom Spawn Bags
- Once sterilized, an airtight seal is needed to keep contaminants out. This can be achieved by using an impulse sealer or mini hand held sealer.
Not Recommended to Pre-Seal Bags
- Unicorn mushroom bags are not intended to be sealed before sterilization, sealing them beforehand can cause the bags to rupture during sterilization due to the pressure inside the autoclave. However, they can be pre-sealed if all excess air is removed, excess bag material is neatly folded around the bag, and the bags are given ample time to cool before removing them from the sterilizer.
How to Create a Semi-Seal During Sterilization
- If you fold Unicorn mushroom bags correctly before sterilization the pressure and heat should create a semi seal while inside the autoclave. The semi seal should prevent any contaminants from entering the bag while you unload them. Then the bags may be quickly impulse sealed after removal from the autoclave.
How to Avoid Melting of Bags
- If the pressure cooker/autoclave lacks an inner liner, try to avoid direct contact with the inner walls of the cooker, at higher temperatures the walls can melt parts of the polypropylene bags. One simple method to avoid this is to wrap the Unicorn mushroom bags in 1 layer of paper towel.